19:12:00

Urban Sketchers <b>Kuching</b>: Sketchcrawl - October 2014


Urban Sketchers <b>Kuching</b>: Sketchcrawl - October 2014

Posted: 08 Oct 2014 08:40 PM PDT

After a few proposed locations, we decided to start a series of school sketches, starting with St Teresa's school which was established in 1885.  Since I had to tell my ex-teachers how many sketchers we were expecting, so that they can inform the school principal and the guards that we were coming during the weekend, I estimated about 8 sketchers.  Therefore, we were pleasantly surprised with the turn out of 14 sketchers, including one new sketcher.  Catherine, Gabrielle & I recalled going to school here, years ago.  Quite a lot had changed since then.  New covered walkways, new landscapes, new extension blocks, new outdoor furniture, new paint, etc.

We missed out on a group photo this round because the rain came suddenly & chased us away.  All the close-up shots on artworks are courtesy of Jee. Here are photos Jee took of us sketching, after he completed his own sketch. View more of our activities on our Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/USkKuching/
by Jascinta
by Tan
by Aurelia
by Aurelia
by Jee
by Annette
by Georges
by Gabrielle
by Catherine
by Yvonne
I'd always been really proud of nurturing and encouraging parents who brought their children to sketch with urbansketchers; like Clive, who would patiently wait for Nicholas (13yo) & Nicole (11yo) to finish sketching, even brought them out for their own sketch outings some weekends.
by Nicholas
by Nicole
by Hel
Halfway through, my ex-teachers came to have a look at our sketches and requested for my linework sketch to be used as a print on their new school books carry bag.  I gladly obliged, after all it is considered a true honour to have students of my alma-mater carrying my sketch around.
 by Pegs

My alma-mater, while I sat under the tree, infested with dropping tiny leaves, mosquitoes, sand flies, wasps & other bugs. (blots were unintentional. from swatting flies) Urban sketching really made me observe details that would usually miss the fleeting eye; like missing letters in the signages, an ex-mission school with Arabic words inscribed on the walls of the school hall, non-symmetrical decorative columns, etc. cool!