16:06:00

<b>Kuching</b>, Sarawak | Malaysian Borneo | a dying star


<b>Kuching</b>, Sarawak | Malaysian Borneo | a dying star

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 11:41 AM PDT

Snaking and undulating, greens and browns, steaming humidity, a heat that grinds you down.  Where is this place I have gone?  Cities I have known and people I have seen, but not like this.  Headhunters with mythical pasts, magical jungles imbued with spirits, birds who sounds like the hysterical cries of death, and a forest who comes alive at night.  Caves.  Sparkling waters. Butterfly wings flickering in the dappled light.

Kuching was my gateway.  My entrance into this unknown.  The base from which I visited pitcher plants, took a small motorboat across the turbulent South China Sea, watch an orangutan crack coconuts against a tree, and another pee as he hung from ropes.  I tasted jungle ferns cooked in coconut curry, Sarawak laksa, and bee hoon.  I straddled the territory between city and wilderness, but then the rains came, and I listened and watched. All night, thunder, lighting, rain.  Pushed and pushed until I found myself on a plane bound for Mulu.  Days I spent exploring caves, walking alone, listening to the silence that became not-silence in the dark.  The hollows of my fears.  Nothing.  Fill it with sound.  One night, after a storm, I saw a firefly flit across the darkness.  Where is this place?  Where have I gone?

A little past one month into the journey and finally I feel, this is different.  I have gone somewhere else.  Somewhere other.  Borneo is my childhood imagination; Borneo is my interior landscape.